Reply To: 15 y/o daughter is begging to be put on ADD meds.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Teens & Young Adults 15 y/o daughter is begging to be put on ADD meds. Reply To: 15 y/o daughter is begging to be put on ADD meds.

trish64
Participant

I personally didn’t like meds for my teen son and nor did he, however, when he was a freshman in high school it was necessary for his education; he was beginning to fail a class and had Cs and Ds in his other classes. It helped bring his grades up, however, we all felt that his depression and anger was heightened with the meds. He also complained how he didn’t like the way they made him feel. His doctor tried him on different meds which included stimulants and non-stimulants but he hated them all. He’s in his senior year now and took himself off of them several months ago. He maintains a C average with an A and a B class in there. He studied all of 45 mins for his SATs and scored above average and he was accepted into his first college of choice and got into his major. He always said to me that he needed to be able to deal with his ADD on his own and not rely on meds. I tend to agree with him, but like all parents, you want your child to succeed. If your child is begging you for meds then perhaps allow her to see how she does with them. A lot of these kids don’t do do well in high school because they’re made to study things that aren’t an interest to them. Once in college, or whatever they choose, these kids are brilliant.