Reply To: Newly diagnosed 7 year old with angry, out of control behavior

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Behavior & Discipline Newly diagnosed 7 year old with angry, out of control behavior Reply To: Newly diagnosed 7 year old with angry, out of control behavior

pjbrown1967
Participant

I practiced as a Social Worker, Counselor, and School Psychologist for more than 30 years, spending more than 40 years working with children and families in a host of professional positions. This pattern of behavior can be associated with a history of Traumatic Brain Injury. I am always appalled that this possibility is too often overlooked. If there has been any possible history of head injury, please make sure it is thoroughly checked out. It is easy to slap the ADHD label on a child, but because of the depth of assessment required, TBI is too often dismissed. I have watched children suffer unnecessarily with brain based emotional management issues, and behavior programs applied and failed, with the failure resting on the child. Clean house diagnostically, and then assure the most effective methods are applied. Best wishes to this family and this child!