Reply To: medication trouble

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults medication trouble Reply To: medication trouble

amznwmn
Participant

I have had similar issues with generic Adderall. I’m on 30 mgs three times a day and have been for close to 20 years. When the patent ran out on Adderall and I started getting whatever generic brand the pharmacy gave me, I noticed a difference between the generic medication manufactured by different companies. One worked better than the other. The non-active ingredients being used in the generic medication affected me differently and my body processed those ingredients differently.

So, absolutely, take the medication back to the pharmacy and tell them to get what the doctor prescribed.

Also, moving forward, if possible, you can ask your doctor to write on the prescription that it should be filled with the name brand medication. If your insurance won’t pay for it, you have the right to call them and explain the situation and see if you can get them to approve it. If not, my suggestion would be to make a note of the manufacturer of the generic that’s making you sick, then call around to the pharmacies in your area and ask them what manufacturer made their supply of generic Adderall to find one you can take. You might want to ask what their price is for the name brand too because prices vary greatly between pharmacies so f your insurance won’t cover the name brand, you may be able to afford it on your own.

When I started taking Adderall, my lock pharmacy was charging $350 for a one month supply. I called Costco (you don’t have to be a member to get prescriptions filled there) and paid $67 for the same amount of name brand medicine.

Good luck!