Reply To: Newly diagnosed…kind of annoyed it took this long!

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Women & Girls Newly diagnosed…kind of annoyed it took this long! Reply To: Newly diagnosed…kind of annoyed it took this long!

oodna
Participant

Hi Shine

Thank you for your response, it was great to read. I was also devastated to see that you had your diagnosis reversed at such a critical time, I’m sorry that you went through that.

I’m working on the emotional stuff with a brilliant psych, and constantly learning to trust myself more and seeing patterns in my life that relate directly back to my ADHD. Disengaging from the belief that I’m a lazy person and my general low self-esteem is going to take work. I have a deep sense of sadness which I need to acknowledge and work through. But I also have goals now which I can plan towards without going into full melt down!

It’s going to take a long time to get over the feeling of wasted time and missed opportunities. Part of that has to be recognising that at our age we still have plenty of time even if it doesn’t feel like it. The ADHD has affected so many parts of my life, and I’m seeing gradual improvements all the time, especially at work and with study. My medication is making a big difference with very few side-effects, so I am incredibly grateful for how smooth that part of the transition was for me.

I’ve also been feeling alone in this. Probably the most frustrating thing lately is how even my close friends respond when I talk about my ADHD. It’s like they don’t believe in it, or they think I’m seeking special treatment (especially frustrating when I want to celebrate my new discoveries with them). I’ve had so many people say “oh that’s not an ADHD thing, I lose things too” etc. It feels horrible to have these reactions from people I thought would be happy for me. I almost feel compelled to keep a Drs note on me to produce at times like this! I would love to hear your perspective on this.