Reply To: Newly diagnosed, not sure what to do, please advise

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond Newly diagnosed, not sure what to do, please advise Reply To: Newly diagnosed, not sure what to do, please advise

Skypark962
Participant

I say this out of love & someone who was diagnosed at 16 and has taken stimulants on/off for almost 18yrs.

Get an evaluation by a psychiatrist or consider a SPECT scan.

If you don’t need stimulants, there are consequences to stimulating a brain that doesn’t need it.
Mostly, anxiety, headaches, sleep disorders, more difficulty concentrating and some people to suicide.

If you have AD/HD and not just symptoms that look like it, a SPECT imagine scan would pick it up.
Me, mine’s hereditary from my mother. We both saw under-activity in our prefrontal cortex in our scans.
It may seem like your physician is trying to help, but confusion from overworking etc….this is not a proper diagnosis. You don’t just give Adderall to fix and help performance.

You may have AD/HD and this situation has led you there to find out once & for all—but it doesn’t sound like the Dr. you saw has is specialty in mental health. Seek a profession to know if 1st you need this medicine and 2nd if you’re on the right dose.