Reply To: Was on the verge of panic today, from people talking.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Was on the verge of panic today, from people talking. Reply To: Was on the verge of panic today, from people talking.

calsurfn
Participant

What a great conversation! Thanks to all of you that have the courage to talk about this. I have been through years of therapy without even knowing ADHD was the root of the problem. My therapist was adamant, and rightly so, to make sure that we rooted out anything that is likely due to trauma. The trouble is the two are so connected but approaching this now with the bad stuff behind me seems like the right course. I believe that ADHD undiagnosed is a serious source of trauma for children and that we carry that with us always until we deal with it. To be sure, ADHD undiagnosed as a child can lead us to some very bad situations, especially if the parents are unaware. I have gotten so much out of the book by Gabor Mate, Scattered. Listen on Audible (so much more tolerable) and I think you will know what I mean. KC1328, can’t imagine how this effects us as our bodies grow older but I’m pushing 50 now. Can only relate that my father obviously has this condition but is not of the mind or generation to admit it. The result is he is so often ostracized from his family because most have a hard time tolerating the effects of an ADHD mind, me included. It breaks my heart that I can see he is hyper-emotional, like me, to the point that it is awkward and pushes people away. I am resolute not to become that person. I want to enjoy my family and live a normal life. Keep up the hard work and try to figure out what works for you. Have found out this is not a one size fits all solution by any means.