Reply To: PLEASE Tell me your story, I was just diagnosed & feeling confused/alone at 28

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD PLEASE Tell me your story, I was just diagnosed & feeling confused/alone at 28 Reply To: PLEASE Tell me your story, I was just diagnosed & feeling confused/alone at 28

greyisprettyrad
Participant

Hello! My name is Grey, I’m 16, I’m a junior in high school.
Ever since I was little teachers would be asking if I had ADHD and saying that they understand and cutting me slack for not turning work in. I always knew I had ADHD, but I didn’t know what it was.
I was diagnosed last spring and immediately put on meds after I struggled a little in chemistry and geometry and then suddenly crashed and burned and failed both classes. My mom always knew I had it, but because of problems my dad had with his medicine and problems her friends had with their ADHD kids’ schools, she was scared to get me diagnosed and thought she could handle it.
I’m still struggling. I have catastrophic and social anxiety and I get very scared of irrational things (getting kidnapped and whatnot) and of people hating me. I started seeing a therapist a couple weeks ago.
I often wish I were just normal, I wish I weren’t so loud and annoying. I wish I didn’t get obsessed with TV shows and games. I wish I didn’t feel like I couldn’t breathe and was going to just explode when my 4 year old sister won’t stop talking while I’m doing homework. But I know that having ADHD can have benefits. I can use my hyperfocus powers for good, and I know so much about the mechanics and things no one cares about in minecraft, so when people ask about something I’m the only person who knows the answer and I feel so smart, and sometimes my “dramatic” emotions are cute and funny and people like me more.
That’s not my whole story, but I lost track of where I was going with this, so I’m done 🙂