Reply To: Was on the verge of panic today, from people talking.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Was on the verge of panic today, from people talking. Reply To: Was on the verge of panic today, from people talking.

kc1328
Participant

I had two issues, well actually 3. Crowds of people, noisy restaurants would be impossible, I couldnt separate voices, couldn’t hear what people were saying to me and I would feel overwhelmed and exhausted. I also have mild hearing loss to the point it was suggested by an audiologist that I needed a hearing Aid. I might be stating the obvious but an audiologist said to me that I need to focus on the person, focus on their lips talking.
The problem is not necessarily one of hearing it’s your brain distinguishing one sound from another. Which with ADHD can be tough. But perhaps due to my hearing loss I had no choice. I have to conciously tell myself that I care what this person has to say, I need to look at them while they talk, i only look at them. The act of conciously looking has helped train my brain.
I have to say it worked, I went from shopping for a hearing aid to thinking my hearing has greatly improved (it hasn’t) . I am still easily exhausted but I think less so because I only focus on one person instead of the whole room.

I did just mention to my GF if she noticed my hearing was off, she said she noticed if I wasnt looking at her I often dont hear her.

There are still noisy restaurants and off days when i cant concentrate that I am overwhelmed but they are few and far between.

And no I dont read lips.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by kc1328.