Reply To: 15 y/o daughter is begging to be put on ADD meds.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Teens & Young Adults 15 y/o daughter is begging to be put on ADD meds. Reply To: 15 y/o daughter is begging to be put on ADD meds.

Penny Williams
Keymaster

Not treating ADHD also increases the chance of suicide, in addition to accidents, illegal drug and alcohol use (self-medicating), risky behaviors, teen pregnancy, etc. Many studies have been done that all come to this conclusion statistically.

Anti-depressants have black box warnings about the potential to cause suicidal ideation. None of the stimulants on the market have that warning to my knowledge. There are a couple cases reported of suicidal ideation on ADHD stimulants, but not so many that the FDA has added a warning. Stimulant medications for ADHD are also different in that they are in the body active for a short time period. If these thoughts occur (which is really rare for these meds), you stop taking the medication and the suicidal thoughts stop, as with any other side effects. As well, stimulants like Ritalin have been around for decades.

Your daughter is coming to you and asking for help. Honoring that means she won’t go looking elsewhere for something to ease her symptoms.

I found learning the facts about ADHD medication helped me to make an informed decision. There’s so much information in the public perception.

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

Penny
ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism