Reply To: Was on the verge of panic today, from people talking.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Was on the verge of panic today, from people talking. Reply To: Was on the verge of panic today, from people talking.

calsurfn
Participant

I have had a problem with this my whole life but only recently diagnosed with ADHD. Sometimes sensory overload can get so bad it feels like breaking glass. Not just voices but bright lights, movement on a crowded street, a noisy auditorium all can be completely overwhelming at times. I wouldn’t consider myself introverted but can tend to be anti-social for reasons like boredom in casual conversation. I do get overwhelmed at parties sometimes and need to step out for air. I have been taking Adderall for nearly a year now and can say without a doubt this has helped. I used to have a tough time on airplanes because of all the background noise but have flown several time since with no issues. Also sitting in on my daughters indoor athletics would be intolerable but those times are gone. Working on meditation and mindfulness are a huge help for me. Especially when everything around becomes very frenetic I can focus on the moment to relieve anxiety. I also need music playing or background noise (fans, water fountains, etc.) to calm my mind. Good luck!