Reply To: Was on the verge of panic today, from people talking.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Was on the verge of panic today, from people talking. Reply To: Was on the verge of panic today, from people talking.

Garden Gnome
Participant

I have auditory processing disorder, sensory processing disorder, and hyperacusis. I can’t understand the person next to me if there is a lot of background noise. Their voices just blend into the chaotic sound. Because of the hyperacusis, the noise is really loud. If the room is echoey, I feel it bouncing off of the walls and into my head. It creates a monstrous headache for me. If I am exposed to it for too long, I will actually lose all sense of where my body is in space. I will go into fight or flight mode and will need to cling to walls because I won’t understand the movement of other people. It is quite nightmarish. After I leave the place of chaos, I will still have the noise in my head, as well as the headache, for about three days. The last time that I experienced the full dramatic effect of this, I was at a church where the choir was upstairs. We were practicing and there were people downstairs, all talking and socializing. When the mass started, the priest talked into a microphone and his voice felt like jagged edges of broken glass. Afterwards, someone had to help me down the stairs because of decompensating. We went to another building for a choir rehearsal, and I couldn’t hear the choir as a group. I heard each individual voice and I had to work hard not to point at the people who were out of tune or to say exactly by how much they were out of tune. For several days after that, I felt pain. I don’t know if I have ADHD or not but one psychologist said yes, that I did.