Reply To: Diagnosed with ADHD, but need help with a problem

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD Diagnosed with ADHD, but need help with a problem Reply To: Diagnosed with ADHD, but need help with a problem

Fluttermind
Participant

So, opioids (I’m assuming it was opioids/opiates from the methadone) do pretty much the opposite of what stimulants do recreationally. Back when I was trying to find the right dose of methylphenidate, I went too high and it was completely horrible – I was strung out and couldn’t sleep. I can’t imagine why anyone would want to abuse stimulants. In fact, there was a recent study of illicit Adderall use and the vast majority of people used it not to get high but to study/perform better in school.

Additionally, there are the long acting forms like Vyvanse that are less abusable than the IR pills.

I’m in SW PA, so plenty of opioid abuse here, to the point where medical residents pretty much have classes on recognizing and turning away drug seekers. Drug seekers were almost exclusively after painkillers. I’ve witnessed drug seeking at my pharmacy too – guy in front of me trying to get Vicodin or Oxy with a bogus prescription. With ADHD meds they only look at you sideways if you’re a college student, because illicit use (I wouldn’t even call it abuse because they’re all still using proper therapeutic doses and taking it for its intended use) is rampant.

Find a doc you trust who understands adult ADHD and be honest, and be willing to try out more non-stimulant options like Intuniv. It would be nice if they found some more effective nonstimulant treatments. It’s unfortunate that Strattera doesn’t often work, because when you’re lucky and it works for you, it’s apparently super good. But more often, it’ll just give you a bunch of crappy side effects.