Reply To: Having to learn like a neurotypical is wrong IMHO

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums School & Learning Having to learn like a neurotypical is wrong IMHO Reply To: Having to learn like a neurotypical is wrong IMHO

jlb83
Participant

Yeah I hate the way of teaching and learning that are traditional in these supposed “advanced, first world” countries.

I always excelled in small classes that involved group work, and in which the teachers always gave us ample opportunities to get good grades, whether they be extra credit assignments, dropping lowest grades, small quizzes, open note exams.

I just had to drop my linear algebra class. Math is my top subject, but I hated the way this teacher taught. I thought the material was easy. But I am horrible at exams. I am excellent at homework, because we’re actually given time to do them. Come exam time, everything I know just flies out of my head when I need it most. I get anxious, I second guess, third and fourth guess. Focus too much on the questions that I second guess, and end up rushing through the exam when I realize i’m running out of time. I make a lot of very careless mistakes.

Thankfully I didn’t need this class for my major (I too am a physics lover! I am a physics major and chemistry minor and I’m finally in my last semester.), I just enrolled for it because I like math and I wanted to fill my schedule with subjects I typically enjoy.