Reply To: Do I Really Have ADD?

Frique67
Participant

Fluttermind,

Thanks so much for your response. Your question is a great one that I had honestly never considered before: I excelled as a student, but was I a good student? I mainly just remember that getting straight A’s was pretty easy for me. I always did my homework and turned it in on time, but studying wasn’t really necessary. I don’t think I ever really learned good study habits; I just relied on what came naturally. And I think I can say the same thing about every entry-level job I’ve ever had.

It’s just kind of crazy – I can’t wrap my head around possibly being diagnosed with ADD when I’m over 50 years old. If true, it just kind of casts everything in a new light. For example, I’m known for being super quick-witted. But instead of a blessing or a talent, that now feels like a symptom or a pathology.

Here’s a question: if I have ADD, how have I slipped under the radar and not been diagnosed for over 50 years?

I keep alternating between it making perfect sense and the fear that I’m seeking justification for the poor choices I’ve made in my life.

Also, I’m stunned that you included that comment about it not being a moral failing; because it feels as though you read my mind. I do feel like a failure. I’m a good husband to my wife and a good dad to my kids, but I otherwise feel like a failure for my lack of ambition and focus.