Reply To: PLEASE Tell me your story, I was just diagnosed & feeling confused/alone at 28

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD PLEASE Tell me your story, I was just diagnosed & feeling confused/alone at 28 Reply To: PLEASE Tell me your story, I was just diagnosed & feeling confused/alone at 28

Caleb3Wesley
Participant

Hello, my name is Caleb and I would like to seek help as my issues with ADD are out of my control at this point. I am 23 years old and have not received any treatment for my diagnosed ADD since the age of 15.

This is my first post on any kind of forum and I would like to see what kind of response I get from this brief summary about my current conditions before publicly sharing a more broadened backstory. Thank you for understanding.

I have recently found it perdinant, more than ever, that my psychological issues be addressed and taken very seriously should I be able to have any kind of success in life. I have had quite the struggle being productive and organized. Eventually leading to my dropping out of high school and spinning wheels in the sand ever since.
I began abusing drugs at 13 years of age thinking that I was coping well by letting substances kind of “take the wheel” until I figured something out. Substance made me feel motivated and unlike I was when struggling to just be normal, without self-medicating.
As it was then, it is now. My issue with substance abuse is not about getting high. It is about chemically altering my mind to allow me to properly function and conduct myself. As you can probably imagine, that train of thought has put me back much farther than I ever could have anticipated. I have been in and out of drug abuse treatment facilities for the past 6 years. All because of my negligence and avoidance of my personal mental health concerns, I have compounded many problems that might have been under control by now had I sought professional help initially.

It is not my intention to seek anything other than peaceful, helpful advice on how I can stop using substance to cope, and be assessed for professional medical treatment. PLEASE message me personally if there is ANYTHING you can say to help.

Thank you very much for your time,

Caleb W.