Reply To: ADHD medication no longer covered

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents ADHD medication no longer covered Reply To: ADHD medication no longer covered

Fluttermind
Participant

I am not able to get my Concerta covered (sounds like that’s what you have too, from that price) because my insurer’s formulary only covers it for kids, but I can’t function nearly as well without it, so it’s important that I have it. My psychiatrist advised me to get a drug coupon from goodrx.com. This coupon, which you print or pull up on your phone for the pharmacist, lowered the price for me from whatever obscene price it was to around $110/mo. Not sure how to apply it via mail order, but the internet no doubt knows.

Be sure to shop around at different pharmacies – I’ve tried to apply the coupons at multiple places, and prices vary wildly. GoodRX shoukd show you estimated prices for your med/dosage at different pharmacies.

Also, remember that you could always use Ritalin as a fallback. I also take Ritalin to boost the Concerta in the afternoon, and it’s cheap as dirt. Methylphenidate itself is an old cheap drug, so what you’re paying for in the new forms is the release mechanism. Ritalin multiple times a day isn’t nearly as smooth a ride as Concerta (think rickety prop plane instead of luxury zeppelin), but it gets you up in the air and where you need to go in a pinch. If you are unable to get your meds affordably, you could ask your doctor about switching your script to a comparable dosage of Ritalin 2-3x a day.

Yeah, I feel you. Hate how it’s only covered if you’re a school age child – it’s like they still don’t believe adult ADHD is a real thing.