Reply To: Really angry right now

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Emotions & Shame Really angry right now Reply To: Really angry right now

dmvaughn00
Participant

Have you tried keeping your attendance or grade book in a TRI fold binder? you could keep your list inside the first cover so you see it every time you open it.

I have rotating classes, and I have found that if I don’t have the list right in front of me, I won’t pay attention to it because it’s at my desk. Since I’m a teacher, I don’t usually sit at my desk unless it’s my prep time or lunch. This is why the list gets ignored if it’s on my desk. Plus it also gets buried because sometimes I’m collecting other items. I’m busy teaching the lesson and helping my students with the homework. The board is pretty much the only thing I have found that I can utilize as a “right there” reminder that won’t get ignored or lost. I’m very visual (which I think is pretty common with ADHD), so if it’s out of sight, it’s out of mind for me. I made it a professional goal to be better about parent communications and letting students know in a timely fashion when I need work from them, and because of doing this, I have done SO MUCH BETTER with this year! What I don’t understand is why this is JUST NOW an issue. I’ve used this method all year long, and this kid has ALWAYS known that she is NOT in trouble or being shamed and whatnot.

I am trying not to stew on this too much, but honestly, the more I think about it, the more pissed I am. I’m willing to compromise (which is really hard for me to do in the first place), but the reason that I am SO ANGRY and can’t stop stewing is because I felt this was NOT handled correctly by the parent OR my administrator. I was not shown professional courtesy or basic respect. The parent DID NOT mention ANY of this to me before going to my principal, and my principal didn’t tell the parent to speak to me first, nor did he suggest that she speak to me in his office with him as the mediator. He took her complaints at face value, and I don’t feel like I did anything wrong.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by dmvaughn00.