Reply To: PLEASE Tell me your story, I was just diagnosed & feeling confused/alone at 28

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD PLEASE Tell me your story, I was just diagnosed & feeling confused/alone at 28 Reply To: PLEASE Tell me your story, I was just diagnosed & feeling confused/alone at 28

roadrunner
Participant

I was just recently diagnosed at 40 years old. Still in shock and denial. I started therapy about six months thinking I was battling depression. The regular medications were not working for depression so I was referred to a psychiatrist who said I had ADHD. I thought they were crazy but the ADHD medication work better. My self esteem is very low and I just considered myself a failure and stupid all my life. School was a struggle but I worked really hard to get good grades to prove I was not stupid to my family. My biggest struggles are trying to be a mother and act like I know what I am doing. I am totally disorganized and get overwhelmed easily with the demands of just managing a household. Anyways I think it is very hard to accept a diagnosis especially if you get it as an adult. I know that feeling of being alone. I could never tell my family about it because they do not believe in ADHD. Only my husband and doctors know.