Reply To: PLEASE Tell me your story, I was just diagnosed & feeling confused/alone at 28

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD PLEASE Tell me your story, I was just diagnosed & feeling confused/alone at 28 Reply To: PLEASE Tell me your story, I was just diagnosed & feeling confused/alone at 28

eratz217
Participant

I am a little older than you, but I do have a story with a fairly similar start. I have never actually been diagnosed but I have a 7 year old son who was diagnosed. When I started to read about ADHD to help my son I felt like they explained so many of the struggles I faced growing up. I remember literally crying as I read because I realized I was not alone. I received a lot of negativity as well when tried to talk to friends and family about it. The “Oh, that happens to me too sometimes” comments just make you feel alone even though they are an attempt at comfort, because for you and me it happens all the time. Sometimes the simplest task can feel like climbing a mountain. Your struggles are not due to a lack of intelligenc. I can tell by your writting you are very capable. It has more to do with the fact that your mind just works differently. You have to find the systems that work best for YOU. If medication is included with that system don’t let others make you feel guilty. It sounds like you know what drug abuse can do so you take precaution but I wouldn’t eliminate because someone makes assumptions about why you pursue treatment… This is about you finding balance in your life. The other thing I always try to do is to keep the conversation going. Talk openly about your diagnosis and your struggles. Yes, You will get some crazy looks sometimes but when you meet another person who struggles in silence they will feel forever greatful that you openly shared your experience. I hope my son will grow up in a world that will take more time to understand his struggle and the best way to do that is to share what I’ve learned. Many of the people that brushed off my original claims for me and my son have now come around to see more of what I tried to express years ago. It takes time and it takes a lot of trial and error but I promise you will become stronger in the long run! You are not alone!