Reply To: Angry 5 year old, says he wants his brother to die

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents The Emotions of ADHD Angry 5 year old, says he wants his brother to die Reply To: Angry 5 year old, says he wants his brother to die

Fluttermind
Participant

When my sisters and I were little, we’d say despicable things to and about each other all the time when we were angry/frustrated with each other. We heard the things somewhere and said them without understanding what they meant. It was just sibling rivalry, we didn’t ACTUALLY wish death/cruel fates in each other.

Your boy is probably old enough for you to have a serious and calm conversation with him about what death means and why it’s very bad to wish death upon other people, especially family members. Anger at someone is a temporary thing, but death is permanent. Take the death wish words away but give him back some more appropriate words to communicate anger or frustration with his brother, like “I wish you would leave me alone.” (I would bet that this is more along the lines of what he really means.)

Depending on the type/severity of his ADHD, he might need to be spoken to a few times.