Reply To: Principal from another school interacting with my child

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums School & Learning Working with Teachers Principal from another school interacting with my child Reply To: Principal from another school interacting with my child

Penny Williams
Keymaster

I can’t tell you if this principal had a right to speak to your son about his behavior. That’s a question for an educational advocate or attorney. The IEP does carry over until someone determines it’s no longer needed and removes your child from special education. Every 3 years, the school must do a re-evaluation to see if the student still qualifies for services and an IEP.

If your child’s school doesn’t seem to be implementing the IEP, mention your concern in the IEP meeting. Bring an advocate if you can.

Being constantly punished for behavior concerns me. I would formally ask for a Functional Behavior Assessment (FBA) and a resulting Behavior Intervention Plan (BIP) in addition to his IEP. His unwanted behavior is likely part of his disability, and needs to be addressed as such.

5 School Assessments Your Child May Be Entitled To

Penny
ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism