Reply To: Withdrawals from being unplugged for three days.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Withdrawals from being unplugged for three days. Reply To: Withdrawals from being unplugged for three days.

Fluttermind
Participant

Oh hey, another ravenous knowledge-seeker.

Do you have a library you can go to? If so, go there and read all the things. The gratification is not as quick as instantly conjuring up random crap on your phone, but it’s better and more satisfying, and you can read about anything, and generally in way more depth than you get from web articles. My hyperfocus kicks in and I keep reading – stuff like architecture and botany, biographies, coffee table books with nice pictures in them, everything. There have been times when I’ve been out and about and stopped at the library to use the bathroom and charge my phone, and the next thing I know they’re announcing that the library is closing and to please leave.

Bookstores are also good, but you have to be more careful with the books if you don’t want to buy them.

I’m not a fan of social media either (I find Facebook to be the most boring place on the internet and I honestly don’t understand the appeal). I used to go on miserable “internet benders” – spending hours and hours clicking the next thing to read, Googling every random thing that came to my head, clicking the clickbait, all of it (but not social media because I can’t stand it), just to try to satiate the wonky reward circuitry in my brain. Meds and CBT have helped me knock it off, but yeah, it’s a thing and I feel you.

I think if you give yourself a new source of stimulus, you’ll stop missing your phone internet. Happens to me all the time when I’m removed from my routine/internet access/video games for whatever reason. Going into the woods and collecting interesting seed pods in film canisters becomes very interesting, and I stop being bothered by not having internet because I’ve let my brain latch onto other things/found other outlets. Takes me a day or so to adjust. And then when I get my internet back and leave the woods, I’ll be missing my seed pod collecting.