Reply To: Vyvanse increasing blood pressure

jerseysouthpaw
Participant

Hi Bran –

I am doing great. The low dose beta-blocker (25 mg Metoprolol) has resolved my issue. My BP was fluctuating – and I was noticing headaches; I never thought of the term “body buzz” – but this is a great descriptor for how I felt.

My BP is now regulated – and it stays in the high 120s/80s when I’m on Vyvanse. When I wake up in the morning before I take Vyvanse, I can be as low as 117/80 – so my BP without Vyvanse is in a healthy range. The Vyvanse does increase it – as it would with anyone – but it is no longer in range for hypertension. At my age, I was not comfortable with that.

I have no side effects or down-side to taking the beta blocker. I researched it and it is actually protective for me even without Vyvanse. For me, so fare, there has been no down-side to doing this.

I had the same thoughts as you – do I need to take medication for my ADD at this point in life? In many ways, I’ve been successful – especially in work. But the benefits are enormous. I am so much calmer and focused. I am in the helping profession, and I have much more clarity and ease in my work. I am a much better parent – and I am thankful to have time to see and enjoy this. I am so much more organized – my quality of life has improved three-fold. Especially in balancing work, family and recreation. I was always a super worker. But I was often tense and frazzled when trying to have a full life. I believe that giving myself permission to benefit from medication (even at this late stage) is giving me better health – and hopefully, longevity.

I have two sons – ages 13 & 17. The 17 year old has ADD too – and as a parent, I would stop at nothing to support him. This included outside supports (tutors, therapy, etc.) when he was younger and then getting him the best consult and medical care when we decided to begin medication when he turned 14. I always identified with and understood him. I never doubted my own diagnosis, but it took me until age 52 to actually go to a psychiatrist and get formally diagnosed. I’ve realized many things since getting the treatment – most importantly, that this is such a personal decision. I wish you the best of luck on the journey – and know that there is no right or wrong answer – just your own.