Reply To: Adderall name brand vs generic

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD Adderall name brand vs generic Reply To: Adderall name brand vs generic

jollyjlr
Participant

I’ve used ADHD medications for 10 years. I’ve tried numerous variations from Adderall generic 20mg 2xs a day IR, to generic Adderall ER 30mg, Vyvanse 50,60,70 strengths in an attempt to tolerate Vyvanse (without success), Non stimulant Stratera and on…. last year (or in late 2017) the original manufacturer of Adderall (Shire) came out with Mydayis an extended release which touts being effective for upwards of 12-16 hours. Shire promotes the product as offering 3 release cycles of different ingredients. When Shire introduced Mydayis they offered a coupon which provided their product for $3 / month for 3 months and then $15 / month for 9 months and you didn’t have to be covered by insurance – obviously a marketing strategy to get doctors and patients to try Mydayis. Well getting to the point, Shire discontinued the coupon at the end of 2018 fast forward to 2019 Shire did offer a new coupon which provides for $60 per month towards the cost of Mydayis, which brings the out of pocket costs to approximately $221.

The kicker is I have insurance however Mydayis is not on my formulary so end result is it is not covered and if I want it I am paying cash.

For me Mydayis has been a blessing, I don’t get that “rush” or “high feeling” when I first take it like I do with Generic Adderall and Vyvanse. For me Mydayis last at least 12 hours and I can fall asleep at night. I am now along with my doctor petitioning my insurance company to provide me an exception and cover Mydayis for me at the third tier of my formulary which would be better than full price.

For anyone experiencing problems with doctors or pharmacies be persistent keep trying for the best product for you. And finally don’t let pharmacists or technicians treat you like an addict as you try to find the right product for you – because I’ve experienced their ignorance, ADHD is real and we shouldn’t be treated any differently than a diabetic requiring insulin.

Thanks for reading