Reply To: Schools are militant about birthday cutoff for T-K! Ideas to persuade them?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums School & Learning Schools are militant about birthday cutoff for T-K! Ideas to persuade them? Reply To: Schools are militant about birthday cutoff for T-K! Ideas to persuade them?

RagingADHD
Participant

Honestly, in your position I’d just wait a year and start regular K later.

My kids have some ADD traits but it’s not causing them problems yet (fingers crossed), but I was simply appalled – appalled at how rigid, academic, and regimented kindergarten has become. I was really worried it was going to screw them up by forcing them to act like third or fourth graders when they were just 5.

I truly believe that schools themselves are responsible for a lot of the explosion in early ADHD diagnosis, because a lot of the expectations for 5 year olds these days are just *not* developmentally appropriate, even for neurotypical kids.

Little ones need to play and explore and go outside, not sit in a chair doing worksheets for hours. Self-directed free play and outdoor time in nature are 2 of the most powerful influences on developing executive skills.

ADHD is a developmental difference/disorder. Your son’s sympotoms aren’t always going to be the same as they are now, and his executive functions are going to keep developing.

To my thinking, an extra year to develop and enjoy himself without pressure to conform or perform can only do him good.