Reply To: I'm sick of being told ADD is a crutch.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Emotions & Shame I'm sick of being told ADD is a crutch. Reply To: I'm sick of being told ADD is a crutch.

Fluteknees
Participant

It’s amazingly unfortunate how society puts us in the position of defending ourselves.

I hate this disease. I get mad at people who criticize those of us with ADD/ADHD. I get mad because I’m jealous. I am jealous of the people who don’t have this disorder. I am jealous that I can’t do normal things. I get mad at people who take normalcy for granted.

I don’t live in a state of anger. frustration or hatred. Those are the feelings that come about when the subject of criticism is brought up.
If the person who is criticizing me matters to me. I will tell them something to this effect… Criticize me for something I can fix. If I tell you I can’t fix it then be respectful enough to take my words as true and either stop criticizing me or get informed.

Like the rest of us no one has a quick fix or a permanent solution. I just hope that my words might help another that’s in the same type of situation I’m in.

Kindly,
Laurey

Edit: I wanted to add that I am 48. For the majority of my life I have felt obligated to educate people about my disorder. It’s taken me until this year to stop doing that. People forget that we are just one person. They ask us to educate them but forget that everyone in our lives expects us to educate them. It’s overwhelming and not our responsibility. At 48 years old I finally accepted that I can’t fix myself. I hope that gives me a little bit of freedom and normalcy.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by Fluteknees.
  • This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by Fluteknees.
  • This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by Penny Williams.