Reply To: I'm sick of being told ADD is a crutch.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Emotions & Shame I'm sick of being told ADD is a crutch. Reply To: I'm sick of being told ADD is a crutch.

RagingADHD
Participant

I”m sorry your friend is so judgmental and ignorant.

Basically her advice boils down to “be neurotypical, like me!” Which unfortunately is the same advice in the majority of self-help books and organizational systems.

Which is, when you think about it, a really, really stupid thing to say. Like, “Hey quit using this excuse, you just need to rewire your brain and be a different person!”

Gee, thanks, that’s so helpful. /sarcasm

Now, on the other hand I have a bit more sympathy for your mom. I feel like maybe she meant something like, we all have to take responsibility for getting our stuff done, and using our tools and adaptations to make it happen. But it sounds like you weren’t getting the guidance and emotional support you needed to find your own way of succeeding. That stinks.

You do get to choose who you get to spend time with and how you allow them to treat you. Please don’t feel like you need to sit around and let people berate you. Especially when they have zero clue what they’re talking about.

Having ADD, anxiety and depression is not your fault. You need to be around people who lift you up, not beat you down.

Daydreaming is awesome. It’s free, harmless, lifts your mood and helps you find creative ideas and problemsolving. And now you know that this friend is not somebody you can daydream with.

Very sad. Her loss.