Reply To: I'm sick of being told ADD is a crutch.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Emotions & Shame I'm sick of being told ADD is a crutch. Reply To: I'm sick of being told ADD is a crutch.

lillithrising5
Participant

Me too. Or that I use it as an excuse. Or that it’s not a real condition. Or that people just take pills for everything these days.

I wish I had a positive response for you, but I don’t. I’ve learned never to even mention it.

And I agree with you, I could just lose my mind if I hear one more person tell me that I wouldn’t lose my keys so often if I would just always put them in the same spot. “Really Mom? Damn! I have NEVER even thought of that.”.

Yes. I would make lists and then forget them, or lose them.

I do feel that way all of the time anymore. I’ve pretty much just given up. I have come to the conclusion that the intense effort that I put into trying to overcome my problems rarely makes much, if any difference.

Technology has helped me a lot. I’ve learned to e-mail myself things like passwords and text myself my grocery lists. Paying bills used to be a nightmare for me. If I could find the bill, I couldn’t find an envelope. When I found an envelope, I couldn’t find a stamp. By the time that I found or just went out and bought new stamps, I had then lost the bill or the envelope again. Thankfully, I can find and pay all of my bills online these days.

It aint easy being me and I have become depressed about it all, when I’m not usually the type of person to get depressed. I am almost 60 years old now and I feel like I am just exhausted from my ADHD. I don’t care anymore. I have done the best that I could and things aren’t much better.