Reply To: I'm sick of being told ADD is a crutch.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Emotions & Shame I'm sick of being told ADD is a crutch. Reply To: I'm sick of being told ADD is a crutch.

bigguy1221
Participant

People don’t understand ADD won’t go away if you try harder. It isn’t a lack of effort. Extra effort makes it worse. it causes stress, which makes it harder to concentrate, and whatever it is you are struggling with in the first place, gets that much harder. You are likely already trying way too hard, at something that isn’t natural for you to do.

Most of us do better without Judgments of others making noise in the background. It is like poking a fire with a stick and watching the sparks fly, again and again. Things we struggle with are easier with support and encouragement.
Tell the crutch people to try that instead of the crutch nonsense. If you tell them to stop doing it, and give them something else to do instead, they will try it or they won’t. If they won’t, once you are sure they won’t, you will know what works, what doesn’t, and what to do. Just my two cents. Advice is easy to give. it is much harder to be in your situation. Good luck