Reply To: Inclusion class segregates special ed students

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums School & Learning Inclusion class segregates special ed students Reply To: Inclusion class segregates special ed students

hicksa
Participant

My son is in 3rd grade and is in the inclusion class, he has ADHD and dyslexia. When he is with the rest of the students (most of the day) he has a staff member (shared with other inclusion students) there helping him and his assignments are modified if needed. However he is so far off grade level for reading that he is pulled at that time to do intensive remediation. This is what he needs! Before he was in the SpEd program, he was in the classroom with everyone else at these times and he was miserable. His confidence and his behavior were on a downhill slide. It is not productive for a student to be in inclusion if the material is too far from their capabilities. The goal should be to catch the student up and get them back into the classroom as soon as possible, but I would never complain about the extra attention my struggling student gets.