Reply To: Diagnosis changed to "high-functioning bipolar.." majorly apprehensive

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond Diagnosis changed to "high-functioning bipolar.." majorly apprehensive Reply To: Diagnosis changed to "high-functioning bipolar.." majorly apprehensive

slarabee
Participant

If you feel strongly that the diagnosis is wrong, seek another opinion.

I had the same exact thing happen to me, with a Nurse Practitioner ignoring my previous history of hyper-activity disorder and re-misdiagnosing me as bi-polar. She put me on Trileptal (Oxcarbazepine) a mood stabilizer and the results were terrible. That medication made me feeling like I was drowning in mud. I couldn’t even drive to work on that medication, because it is the exact opposite of what I need.

I found a good doctor, he reviewed my history and recognized my ADHD and put me on Adderall. So far the results are fantastic. Never felt so calm and balanced in my life.

So don’t let them do that to you. Find a different practitioner, and get a second, and if need be a third opinion.

Bottom line is don’t let a medical practitioner push a diagnosis on you that you know doesn’t fit you and your history. The wrong medication is worse than doing nothing when it comes to ADHD in my humble opinion.