Reply To: Schools are militant about birthday cutoff for T-K! Ideas to persuade them?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums School & Learning Schools are militant about birthday cutoff for T-K! Ideas to persuade them? Reply To: Schools are militant about birthday cutoff for T-K! Ideas to persuade them?

BRLK
Participant

TK programs are usually very full. If I were to guess, the school may be adamant about cut offs either because they have waiting lists for qualified kids already and/or because they have an obligation based on how the program is funded to be age restrictive. If it were me I would wait to put him in Kinder, maybe even wait two years if your heart tells you sending him now would be setting him up for failure. A June birthday makes him a very young birthday already and adhd makes him immature for his age on top of that. In my opinion, there’s not a single reason to rush Kindergarten for any child. My son was a Jan birthday so he started full day Kinder at 5 and a half and I still wish I had waited one more year. He was not dx at that time tho and I thought he’d be ready after 3yrs of preschool. He did ok, but starting a little later would have helped, I think, with the struggles he had in later years like 2nd and 3rd grade. He’s 13 now, and does ok, but I’m always an advocate in waiting until your kid is ready. They have a lot of years of school ahead of them and there’s no need to rush things imo. If you have the resources and can send him to an academic preschool like Montessori or a private school Kinder for this year to start preparing him knowing that you can repeat Kinder at the public school next year that’s another option.