Reply To: Angry and Frustrated

Penny Williams
Keymaster

There are two types of stimulants: amphetamine (Adderall, Vyvanse, Evekeo…) and methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta, Quillivant…). Almost everyone does well on one type or the other, but not both. It could be that Adderall is not the right type of stimulant — you may do better with a methylphenidate. This is something to talk with your prescribing doctor about.

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

Make sure you temper your expectations of ADHD medication as well. It doesn’t erase ADHD symptoms, it improves them. That’s why additional modalities, like therapy and lifestyle changes, are recommended in addition to medication.

I don’t have ADHD and I have to write everything down and make lists for all shopping trips. My spouse and I use the Wunderlist app to keep running, up-to-date lists that both of us have access to at all times. Anything that needs to be purchased goes on that list. Anytime we think of something we need, it goes directly into the list. If I’m heading out for some things I haven’t put on the list, I’ll make a list just for the things I need in that trip before leaving the house (like if I have a new idea for something and am going out right when the idea strikes). I also put everything on my calendar with 2-3 reminder alerts. No one has a perfect memory. 😉

Penny
ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism