Reply To: Is anyone else coping with Adhd and enrolled in college?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums School & Learning Learning Challenges Is anyone else coping with Adhd and enrolled in college? Reply To: Is anyone else coping with Adhd and enrolled in college?

Dr. Eric
Participant

Not enrolled anymore, but I was diagnosed as an undergrad after transferring out of my first school.

As soon as I was diagnosed and treated, but gpa jumped to a 3.7.

The things that helped.
1 – Transferred to a school that seemed to care more about my needs. (UMass Amherst).
2 – Meds – Literally a 6 times jump in productivity.
3 – Help – not just from counseling department, but from audiobooks and other folks with ADHD.
4 – Athletics – I started with crew and switch to cheer. In addition to the benefits of exercise, my job and cheer preventing me from procrastinating. I had a sense of urgency to get my work done in the one window per day that I had. Time was managed for me.
5 – Utilizing support services. Swallowing my pride and asking for help was harder than dealing with the professors.

I have since gotten my Masters from Northeastern U. and my Doctor of Education from UCLA.

Looking at the website, I am a little worried that a for profit is going to provide the support services that a public or private/nonprofit will.

I would also address your medication concerns with an MD to see if there is a way to get the benefit without the negatives. It is not a yes/no or good/bad decision. Everyone is different and the issue is far more complicated and nuanced.