Reply To: motivation

General Chow
Participant

Motivation and actuation is a constant issue for my ADD brain, especially as I start drifting towards my 30s. Getting your desires figured out like the poster above-mentioned is definitely the path forward, but It’s sometimes difficult to identify or find the things you desire. I think the suggestion below will help.

Like a workout buddy or a sponsor for Alcoholics Anonymous, I think it’s pivotal for a person with ADD to find support groups and friends. You need somebody that you can call at 7:00 AM in the morning. Somebody that’s going to push you out of bed, and someone that you can talk to about your goals, passions, and fears. A real friend. My friend and I call each other every morning while commuting to work. We check in. Sometimes when I’m in bed feeling all anxious and depressed, my friend calls me out on my laziness, and I find the strength to pull my corpse into the shower, or out for a run.

Not only does it give persons with ADD someone that they are accountable to, but also, the sponsor system provides you with someone that you can count on when you need motivation (or just a friendly voice). It allows you to develop a relationship with someone that you can relate with, as well as someone that knows your foibles and BS excuses. One of the goals of this relationship should be to find the activities and professions that interest you, develop goals, and implement actions that will bring both person’s closer to their goals.

I know it sounds silly, but this is something that you can do. This is something that can be accomplished. It provides you with a system for developing goals and desires, and pushing towards those goals and desires. Individuals with ADD are going to need this type of system as they get older, and can no longer rely on their parents, teachers, and friends for support.