Reply To: What does being medicated feel like?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults What does being medicated feel like? Reply To: What does being medicated feel like?

Inkpool
Participant

The first time I took meds was on a work day, and it was amazing. I didn’t realize how much I was struggling before until I realized what it was like to not struggle. The first time I took it, I went into the bathroom during break and cried throughout the entire 15 minutes because I never realized how much I was struggling in life until that first day.

But, most of all I felt validated while also extremely pissed off. Validated because ADHD was real and pissed off that that all the struggling and frustration I experienced growing up was real, but yet adults wrote my behavior off as me being a typical overly emotional child and then again as me having the typical angst and apathy of a ’90s teen.

So, mixed bag: relief and validation with anger and a sense of loss that life could have been so much easier, including with the thought that maybe I would not have taken six years to graduate with my first bachelors had I been on meds and getting support. I do truly think it was the best decision I ever made for myself. Daily struggles are so much less and success is so much easier.