Reply To: Focus shot by the end of the day…effecting my marriage

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Relationships Focus shot by the end of the day…effecting my marriage Reply To: Focus shot by the end of the day…effecting my marriage

Brendan09
Participant

I was diagnosed at 30 but didn’t start taking medication until I was 37. I have a wife and two small children. Management job required high amount of focus. I came home, sat on couch, and pulled out phone. I started taking a second dose of Vyvanse per my doctor’s recommendation. It helped tremendously. I think it saved my marriage. I was in the moment, I was engaged, and I was available for my wife and children. I was also available for my siblings, my nieces, my nephews, and my friends.

Things got so good I tried to come off Vyvanse completely. I was not a fan of medication and would have preferred not take any. Under my doctor’s care, I slowly (about a year) reduced my Vyvanse intake by 75%. It was a mistake. I started having problems again. But my doctor would not just raise my dosage. She slowly raised my dosage but not to as high as it was. The point I am trying to make and what I learned is sometimes medication can be part of the solution.

Maybe taking a job that is less demanding on your focus will help. Or maybe you can ask your doctor to prescribe two doses of Vyvanse that equals your current dose (i.e. take 50mg in the morning and 20mg early in the early afternoon instead of just 70mg in the morning.). I tried this. it didn’t work for me.

BMRH