Reply To: Child’s desk placed in the corner apart from class

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums School & Learning Child’s desk placed in the corner apart from class Reply To: Child’s desk placed in the corner apart from class

mmp
Participant

This is not acceptable. Unfortunately most teachers
are not special ed certified and have to use their judgment (right or wrong) on how to deal with situations. You should call a meeting with the teacher, principal and superintendent. Try getting your Dr to write a letter of recommendations for the classroom. For example, seating within a group near the front of the class. You as the parent have to advocate and keep on the school dept like a squeaky wheel. Make sure every little thing is put into his/her plan. I’ve been in the situation before and it’s not fun. Our outcome was a different school where the principal is student oriented and the whole team is willing to do more to help my child succeed with minimal negative interactions and outcomes. What is not included in the plan is addressed in action plans for the best outcome. I also suggested to the school council that all teachers be certified in special education.
If children are integrated then all teachers should be certified to teach them. These kiddos require special attention and need teachers that are fully trained and understands why things happen. Good luck, it may take time and alot of energy, but its worth it!