Reply To: Child’s desk placed in the corner apart from class

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums School & Learning Child’s desk placed in the corner apart from class Reply To: Child’s desk placed in the corner apart from class

cjnevarc
Participant

Please do not be afraid to meet with the principal and confront the teacher about this. Your son needs for you to do this. We had a similar experience with our son in second grade. We met with the teacher and wanted to take the approach of “lets work together”. She continued to treat him differently than the other children. Without going into much detail, this approach was not effective at all. The result was his growing frustration, him becoming the target of bullying, and ultimately removing him from that school. The teacher sets the example for the students in what is acceptable behavior in how to treat each other. I regret the way that we chose to handle this situation. I would suggest arranging a meeting with both the teacher and the principal together with a goal of setting a plan and expectations. The teacher needs to be held accountable for his/her actions. I am happy to report that our son is doing wonderfully at his new school both academically and socially. I will take a stronger approach if ever in this situation again.