Reply To: Did anything you liked about yourself change with Medication?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD Did anything you liked about yourself change with Medication? Reply To: Did anything you liked about yourself change with Medication?

amh1
Participant

I was afraid of this very thing myself, which is one reason I didn’t seek help for my attention and focus issues until recently. I started taking generic time-released methylphenidate in November to help me focus on job which involves a lot of sit-still time. You can guess how tough that is on someone with attention issues. My doc and I are still figuring out dosages and even if a different med might work better. It’s important to be aware that people can respond differently to the same medication, so don’t give up if one makes you feel not quite yourself. For me, my medication makes me feel like someone just cleaned a window for me. I had been looking out a cloudy plane of glass, unable to see exactly what was out there and thus, unsure how to approach it. The meds take away the mental cloudiness and help my brain see my tasks more clearly and help me follow through. I’m the same person, just a bit more focused and less frantic (which feels great)It’s “Me 2.0!” I’m glad you’re approaching the medication issue with caution. It’s strong stuff, but it can be a useful tool if you feel you need help coping.