Reply To: Child’s desk placed in the corner apart from class

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums School & Learning Child’s desk placed in the corner apart from class Reply To: Child’s desk placed in the corner apart from class

BRLK
Participant

My son is in middle school so we’ve been at this a long time and I can’t think of a single situation where it would be acceptable for the teacher to do this. The way you wrote this makes it sound like it’s happening at this moment and if that is the case and you have the flexibility to do so I would go pick him up from school. If that’s not an option, I would call the school, ask to speak to the principal and let he/she know what is transpiring, that itsunacceptable, and that they need to come up with a different solution. If, as I assume is more likely, this event has already happened and you are now trying to address it after the fact I would definitely be asking for a face to face meeting with the teacher to first understand why, then explain why it’s an unacceptable solution and work toward alternatives for the future. If she is not responsive or uncooperative, escalate the situation to the principal. If your son does not already have one, now is the perfect time to request an IEP Evaluation with a Functional Behavior Assessment so that a team can come together, understand what is causing whatever behavior led to this punishment and a plan (IEP or 504) can be put in place that will help him learn and grow – tactics to head off and resolve behavior issues, vs singling out and embarrassing him. If he was being disruptive he should have been sent to the office or other appropriate location to calm and regroup instead of what was done.