Reply To: Did anything you liked about yourself change with Medication?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD Did anything you liked about yourself change with Medication? Reply To: Did anything you liked about yourself change with Medication?

Lindsay G
Participant

That reply squares with my experience – and actually if anything more people say in an affectionate way they’ve never met anyone like me.

However, rather than describing it as “slowing me down” I would say I now tend to get a millisecond in which I can more often select a more helpful reaction to stimulus – rather than having no control at all over my reactions.

Perhaps another way of viewing it is that to a much greater extent, I can choose my focus. Sadly or awesomely – I still have hyperfocus in spadeloads and I still find it hard to do mundane tasks that seem purposeless.

It’s not a complete solution, but it enabled me to take a little more control over myself. (It also works less well when I’m exhausted).

I don’t think your concerns are actually valid – however they are exactly the same concerns I had before medication.