Reply To: Inattentive ADHD – meds or no meds?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Treating Your Child Inattentive ADHD – meds or no meds? Reply To: Inattentive ADHD – meds or no meds?

Luke_Springer
Participant

So I am a child with inattentive ADHD, and I was diagnosed in the middle of first grade, so when I was just about to turn 7. I was a pretty smart kid, but I’ve always had trouble completing tasks. I started medication that next Summer and it didn’t go so well. I was put on Adderal, and according to my mom, it made me really depressed. I switched to Concerta 3 months later, and I’ve been taking it for over 8 years now! It has worked wonders for me, and the side effects of it for me have been a decreased appetite and trouble sleeping. The sleeping trouble only occurs if you take it later in the day, so I try not to take my full dosage any time after 11 am. As for the appetite portion, that lasts for me until about 2 pm if I take my meds at 7 in the morning. I don’t want to eat a lot at school so I typically will bring a granola bar, some fruit, or half a sandwich. Just something small to snack on works. Make sure that your child eats breakfast and then takes their pills so that they’re able to completely finish the meal. A small meal after school like a salad has also worked for me. In my case, I wasn’t able to bring lunch for a few months and I wouldn’t eat after school, so that led to binge eating which wasn’t good. Just try to eat smaller things in the afternoon, but something filling for breakfast and dinner. If the Concerta is taken inconsistently, for 2 or more days that can lead to mood swings and the child being more irritated (in my experience). So if you go down the medicated route, make sure to keep things consistent.