Reply To: Concerta and timing of administration

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD Concerta and timing of administration Reply To: Concerta and timing of administration

Luke_Springer
Participant

I know this is very late, but I’ve been on Concerta for about 8 years (I’m on 90 mg now), and I’ve also had experience with the binge eating you talked about. I’m not sure if you’ve resolved this or not, but I’ve found ways to help with the binging. The Concerta makes it so your appetite is full and you likely don’t want to eat. Particularly in the afternoon. Since I’m still a student, it’s been hard to find something light to eat during lunchtime and I can’t just go home and eat whatever I want. Since I wasn’t eating during the daytime and it was hard to find time to eat breakfast at times, I would get extremely hungry between 10 pm and whenever I fall asleep. The solution I found to this is to eat breakfast every day and then take your meds. If you can’t eat or you don’t want to eat at school whatsoever, make sure to get a light meal or something after school. If you have to go to work all day, packing at least a snack is necessary. Tuna, salads, egg salad sandwiches, granola bars, and jerky are all things that have worked for me. As long as it’s something that can make you feel more filled and is not just giving temporary energy like crackers, bread, or anything else that is just carb or sugar. Eat a good sized dinner as well and don’t skip out on meals. That’s what really led me to the binge eating. This is just my experience so whatever works well for you. And to answer your question, yes I do take 5mg Ritalin boosters. In the evenings if I have a lot of homework I’ll take one or two 5mg boosters, but you definitely need to talk to your doctor about that. Concerta later in the day would cause you to not be able to sleep at night and would be terrible for you. If I wake up late or just forgot to take my medication earlier in the morning, I never take anything more than half my regular prescription. For example, I took 36 mg of Concerta today because I woke up at 11:30. Also, if you have a lot of work that will take a while, taking a 5 mg Ritalin pill every hour or two has helped me be successful, but don’t take more than two at once. I tried that this morning with the 36 mg of Concerta and I feel sick to my stomach. This turned into a ramble, but I hope that I was able to help in some way.