Reply To: Finding it so hard to join in with group conversations. Why is this?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Relationships Finding it so hard to join in with group conversations. Why is this? Reply To: Finding it so hard to join in with group conversations. Why is this?

Penny Williams
Keymaster

That could be social anxiety — I’ve had it as long as I can remember, and avoided gatherings where I didn’t know anyone well no matter the consequences.

You’re Not Shy or Stuck Up. You Have Social Anxiety Disorder.

Introverts also tend to avoid groups or a lot of talking, like you describe in the exercise class. We are happier with peace and quiet and smaller, more intimate connections.

This also could be an ADHD overwhelm sort of thing for you. There are many possible explanations.

I’ve learned to do what works for me. Participate when comfortable, and kindly refrain when it’s something that will feel stressful. Yes, I miss out on some things. But, I’ve learned it’s just not worth the anxiety and distress of forcing myself. I recognize that this makes me look stuck up or unfriendly to some people, but I’ve had to learn to not let that matter.

Penny
ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism