Reply To: Did anything you liked about yourself change with Medication?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD Did anything you liked about yourself change with Medication? Reply To: Did anything you liked about yourself change with Medication?

Penny Williams
Keymaster

I can’t give you personal experience, but I can tell you that ADHD stimulant medication, when prescribed and taken properly, does not change your personality or who you are. It’s meant to help you slow down a bit and be able to focus more. If it changes your personality, then it’s the wrong medication or the wrong dosage for you.

I find that learning about ADHD medication in detail helps many people make an informed decision, instead of a decision based in fear. There are two types of stimulants: amphetamine (Adderall, Vyvanse, Evekeo…) and methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta, Quillivant…). Almost everyone does well on one type or the other, but not both. As I said, if you feel dopey on ADHD meds, it’s the wrong medication or dosage. Read more details here:

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

Can You Make It Without ADHD Medication?

Penny
ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism