Reply To: S.O.S. Trying to explain why I need private time afterwork

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults S.O.S. Trying to explain why I need private time afterwork Reply To: S.O.S. Trying to explain why I need private time afterwork

damnmouse
Participant

I sometimes push friends and lovers away because I have no more… uh… not sure what to call it. Resistance to stimulation? There’s no more bark on the tree, tread on the tires, ect. I have tons of energy but if you ask me how I’m doing that question is so perplexing. Like I know it’s meant to be polite but it makes me ask myself how I’m doing and I *hate* that. It’s hard to set boundaries with people you really love and need to be grateful to.

I have the luck of living on my own so I can just ignore people or interact with them on my terms, like via instant messenger or whatever. Sometimes I get around talking to somebody by saying “Oh, the usual. Going to go for a walk (or do X) for a while. Can we catch up afterward?” Then add a “thanks, love you!” after they acknowledge you if that assures the person you’re not mad at them.