Reply To: S.O.S. Trying to explain why I need private time afterwork

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults S.O.S. Trying to explain why I need private time afterwork Reply To: S.O.S. Trying to explain why I need private time afterwork

strwbry
Participant

Inkpool, glad to have helped. 🙂

I too come home angry from work most days. My poor hubs doesn’t understand that I’m not mad at him, I’m just grouchy from being around too many people and too much stumulation. (I’m a server and in grad school.) I remind him, and he’ll give me space. But I have to reassure him that I love him and I love hanging out with him, but that he doesn’t want to press me for attention right then. When I come home from work, I’m just agitated, and an interaction will result in either me suppressing that emotion until it bursts out somewhere else or just dumping my work stress on him. Neither of which are beneficial to either of us or our relationship. After an hour or so, I’m more relaxed and ready to smile and chat, but I usually don’t want to talk about my day just yet. It takes me a little longer than that to process.

Have you tried exercising after work? If you tell your mom you’re planning to exercise for 30 min-an hour after work to get healthy, she’ll be expecting the delay, and it may give your body a chance to deal with the stress, which may in turn, help clear your mind. A psychologist once told me that exercise is like a bath for your brain, which may help with the lack of stimulation at work. My favorite is yoga. Any time I’m angry, if I do yoga for 30 minutes, the strength combined with the breathing calms me down. I have a classs that I go to, but I also like yoga with adrien on youtube.

Best of luck to you, friend! 🙂