Reply To: PLEASE HELP! On the fence about meds…

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents PLEASE HELP! On the fence about meds… Reply To: PLEASE HELP! On the fence about meds…

steftomes
Participant

I struggled with the decision to medicate for years. We tried everything, including behavior therapy, special diet, even just letting it all go and saying she will grow out of it (as things got significantly worse). I wanted so badly, and still do, to have a natural, nutritional option to help her. I would give her all the common nutrients every day (omegas, zinc, essential oils, caffiene infused juice, other vitamins). She still suffered with very simple things. It was tearing her and I up. So, I decided to try a low dose of Quillichew. She started making friends, smiling, being able to organize, focus, etc. It is not perfect. But, daily life is no longer a complete negative struggle. She was diagnosed at age 8 with inattentive ADD/ADHD. She started meds at 10. She is now 12 and doing well. I was so afraid of what I heard about meds causing issues, and challenges figuring out the right med/dosage. That part was tough sometimes. But, I am thankful for the Med now (Concerta) because she can feel normal.