Reply To: PLEASE HELP! On the fence about meds…

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents PLEASE HELP! On the fence about meds… Reply To: PLEASE HELP! On the fence about meds…

SweetMama
Participant

Thank you for posting this question an to everyone who responded! My soon-to-be 8-year-old son was just diagnosed with Inattentive ADHD. I am struggling with the idea of medicating him but reading these responses is hugely eye-opening. Neither my husband nor I gave ADHD so this is new territory for us. Reading your responses brought tears to my eyes a number of times.

My son is highly intelligent and not overactive so it wasn’t until this year in second grade that we can see that he can’t stay organized, that he makes careless mistakes, that he can’t easily handle his own personal care, that he can’t remember to do basic things like put his name on his homework, etc. He teacher is lovely and very supportive and encouraged us to see his pediatrician.

There is so much in these responses that I didn’t even realize might be connected to ADHD. Last night at bed time he told me that no one wants to play with him 🙁 I almost cried. He is a great kid, super smart, super kind but now I see that maybe this could all be related. Thank you.